Author Topic: Artillery Genius BLTouch addition?  (Read 917 times)

whoppingpochard

• View Profile
Artillery Genius BLTouch addition?
« on: March 11, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »
I'm trying to install the BLTouch on my Artillery Genius. I've plugged the sensor into the included breakout on the extruder carriage, but am having no luck getting it to work. The sensor always registers as triggered via M119, and the red light stays on.

Do you know if the wiring needs to be adjusted on the mainboard? It looks to me like there is a white wire connected to SERVO1-D11, a black wire connected to SERVO2-GND, and then a set of three brown wires connected to SERVO1-D6, SERVO2-D5, and SERVO2-D4.

Is this correct?

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Artillery Genius BLTouch addition?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
Hi, that's correct from memory, it will always read triggered unless it's deployed.

Have you flashed your mainboard firmware.. it should be quite straight forward really. 

When you turn the machine on, does the BLTouch trigger it's pin a couple of times?   And what happens when you click the home button?

Steve

whoppingpochard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 03:45:45 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! I've flashed the mainboard firmware, but it's a custom build I did made to enable the M600 command and support the BTT TFT I installed. I transferred all your settings from configuration.h that I could find.

When I send a G28 it homes X and Y, and then raises a 10mm or so, moves to the center of the bed, deploys the probe a few times, and then sends an error and resets. Sound familiar at all?

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
You also need to swap the Z min and Z max pins in the file..  pins_ramps.h file I think from memory, sorry not at a pc at the moment.  Pins 18 and 19 need swapping over then it will work. 

The files are in the src.. pins.. ramps folder I think. Sorry, only going off what I can remember but it should be enough to get you going.

Thanks for telling me what you had done, makes it a lot easier to help you. :-)

Steve

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 05:16:13 PM »
Just thinking, you will also need to swap over settings from the advanced config.

It would be easier just to enable the M600 in the source I provided so you know you have everything. OR use something like winmerge to compare them

whoppingpochard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:54:14 PM »
Awesome, thanks!

whoppingpochard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
I found the line for switching the pin just where you said. For anyone else interested, they're at lines 103 - 110 of the pins_RAMPS.h file in Marlin/src/pins/ramps/pins_RAMPS.h I modified your firmware as you suggested and everything's working now!

I think based on the pin layout that it should be possible to uncomment
Code: [Select]
#define RGB_LED in Configuration.h for the Genius so that the LED still works with the BLTouch enabled, but need to get out my multimeter to confirm that they've got separate traces all the way to the extruder carriage. Will report back with findings.

Thanks so much for your help!

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15:02 AM »
I'm guessing you are still using your own firmware as it's uncommented already in my source.  Make sure you have enabled both Z stepper motors in the advanced config,  linear advance if you need it and also baby stepping.  Might be a couple of other changes I've done so just compare the adv.. files also.

Steve

whoppingpochard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 11:15:38 AM »
Ah yes... That would be because I mistakenly edited the SX1 version. *facepalm* Also explains why I needed to update the bed size... Anyway it got me there in the end, I'll go back and migrate to the Genius version. I really appreciate the help!