Author Topic: Post Waggster mod, v4 X1 is just not working  (Read 152 times)

ConjurerOfWorlds

• View Profile
Post Waggster mod, v4 X1 is just not working
« on: October 30, 2020, 08:09:48 PM »
Good evening,

I've spent the last couple of days trying different things, but just not getting anywhere.  I completed the mod per the docs and video, very straightforward.  However, when I hit the auto-level button, weirdness.

Right now, if I power on, and hit the autolevel icon, the bed will move all the way to the back, and attempt to got further than it can go, grinding the motor for a second.  The carriage will center on the Y, and then the gantry will just move upward.

I'll be honest, I've read through the forums and saw a couple of people who had issues and recommended inverting the brown-wired connector compared to the pictures and video, and I've tried that.  Problem is, I've tried quite a few different ways, and I can't remember if I'm in the position recommended or inverted, but I know what happens when it's opposite where it is now...

In that case, the bed and carriage home properly, but once done the carriage centers, the BLTouch blinks red (very dimly) twice and that's it.  The pin never descends and the firmware halts the printer with a failure of the BLTouch.

My feeling is I've either got a bad BLTouch (brand new, only used a couple of weeks on my old printer), or I'm not getting a good enough connection.  The connectors into the LED on the carriage feel very loose.  I even went so far as to purchase a DuPont connector crimper set, but I don't trust the quality of what I've made, and even these are very loose.

I'm not sure what's really left to check, but looking for suggestions of what to try next.

If I can't get somewhere soon, I feel I'm going to have to flash back to stock so I can use my printer again.  Is there a compiled version of the firmware and screen firmware somewhere?

ConjurerOfWorlds

• View Profile
Re: Post Waggster mod, v4 X1 is just not working
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »
Update: I forgot I never threw away a couple of old BLtouch clones I had that ceased working after a few months on my old printer. While they had weird issues randomly extending and retracting the pin during a print, they would at least reset when sent the command.  They're not doing that when I hook them up here, so I'm certain the issue now is with the wiring. 

I did flip the connector again, and am getting "slightly" better results.  When I turn on the printer, the red light comes on and stays on solid in the sensor.  If I hit the auto-level button, the bed and gantry home X/Y, the gantry then moves up a little, then starts back down.  The pin on the sensor never deploys, so I manually pulled it out and pushed back in to see if it would respond, but the gantry continues down.  Instead of risking damage, I turned the printer off before it crashed into the bed.

Now, when I put the genuine sensor back on, I get a quick blink of the red light inside the sensor.  If I hit the reset button, I get a quick blink.  If I hit the auto level button, the bed homes, the gantry moves up, I get a succession of blinks from the sensor, and then the gantry just starts moving up again.

If I remove the sensor, but don't reflash the firmware, can I just use it as I would've out of the box?  Will this version honor the stock z-sensor, or am I committed to the bltouch?

Waggster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Post Waggster mod, v4 X1 is just not working
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:09:44 AM »
Hi, sorry to hear of your problems, can you take a photo of your cable connects for me?

Sadly the firmware isn't compatible with the standard Z sensor so you will need to flash back.

Thanks,

Steve